Southern Burgundy, a wine country nurtured by both tradition and passion, boasts a large number of authentic wineries, unique appellations, splendid estates and an industry shaped by dedicated, generous professionals. Enter Saône-&-Loire with the key to wines in your hand: it will open doors leading to enjoyment and discovery.
Immersion training at the Hameau Dubœuf (Romanèche-Thorins)
The Dubœuf Hamlet in Romanèche-Thorins is quite simply the Beaujolais' first park devoted exclusively to local vineyards and wines! Each season, this site registers over 50,000 visitors eager to change the way they discover wine, the vineyard, and all its vinification secrets within a most innovative setting. One-of-a-kind in Europe, this park comprises several dedicated sites: the winemaking centre, Beaujolais garden, plus Georges Duboeuf's personal cellars for a tasting of hand-selected vintages. Possibility of lunch served on-site at the Café du Hameau featuring a picturesque decor reminiscent of a 1900 train station.
For more information: http://www.hameauduvin.com
An oenological and gastronomic discovery tour at the Château de Balleure (Etrigny)
A truly enchanted spot for wine lovers! In the prestigious setting of this imposing 14th-century Medieval castle, designated a Historical Landmark, the estate owner, a wine afficionado and internationally-renowned expert, plus a member of the International Wine Academy and an influential wine and gastronomy critic, will guide you and host personalised tastings by appointment.
- A one-of-a-kind wine list, with rare finds at unbeatable prices.
- The "Oeno-Friday" event, a formula proposed as part of the "Oeno Moment" certification label. Tasting of 3 wines, featuring a gastronomic accompaniment with homemade appetizers. By appointment only, for parties of 10, €15/person.
- Lodging at a 5-star bed & breakfast, plus dining in the on-site gastronomic restaurant whose recipes showcase the organic fresh produce grown in the host's vegetable garden.
For more information: Le Château de Balleure
Sensations guaranteed at the Château de Chamirey (in Mercurey)
The Château de Chamirey invites you to discover the diversity of Burgundy's wines around a tasting of the castle's output from its magnificent estates (extending from the Côte de Nuits and including Mercurey and Givry). 3 types of tasting-visit itineraries are proposed:
- visit of the castle grounds, with a sweeping view of the vineyards to be admired from the patio;
- a walk down into the castle cellars;
- meandering through the vines on a quest to observe and understand the diversity of soils characterizing the Mercurey growing area.
During your time on the estate, be sure to also take advantage of the pedestrian circuits crisscrossing the "Premier Cru" parcels, as well as the panoramic restaurant offering breath-taking views over the vineyard unfurling below. Why not stay the night, you'll appreciate the welcome reserved for you at the Maison du Clos du Roi (www.lesmaisonsdechamirey.com).
For more information: https://www.chamirey.com
Exploration of Saône-&-Loire's cooperative wineries and cellars
Southern Burgundy is home to the region's largest number of cooperative wineries (12 in all out of the 20 throughout Burgundy). This Saône-&-Loire specificity appeals to local producers with strong ties to the parcels they cultivate (45% of producers here are members of a cooperative) and determined to ensure preservation of their vineyards. They gladly welcome your visit, open the doors to their tasting cellars and estates and sample the delicious local production.
We also recommend: